.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Irish Wave Baby Blanket

Irish Wave Baby Blanket Pattern

by Elizabeth Mareno





If you don't want to copy and paste the pattern or deal with the advertising,
it is available as a PDF download on ETSY, Ravelry, and my website!

This pattern includes instructions for both a scarf and a baby blanket.

NOTES: The baby blanket can easily become an adult blanket by simply continuing to add waves. Also, changing yarn weight and hook size will significantly change the way the afghan looks and what size you can achieve. If you want to add motifs to make it wider this is the math I would use: 1 motif = 14 chains. Each motif is approximately 3” wide. So decide how many more inches wide you would like your blanket (original is 32”) and add that many chains per motif to the original chain count. You may have to play with it a little.

It is a simple and lovely four row repeat that I hope you’ll try! 

Materials:
Light worsted like Yarn Bee Soft Secret  or a DK weight 40.25 total ounces of yarn needed for a baby blanket with 23 four-row repeats. 
Each color stripe** used approximately 1.75 ounces each.
1,450 yards for total blanket. 
Approximately 65 yards for 2 complete color stripes**.
**color stripes are a complete 4 row repeat

G hook Large Eye needle for weaving ends.

NOTES: The ch 2’s and ch 5’s at the beginning of the rows count as hdc and trc, respectively. However, chain 1 does not count as a sc.
Gauge is not necessary for this project.
Finished size for the baby blanket is approximately 46” long x 32” wide. The “soft” yarns have a great deal of stretch to them.
Scarf width is approximately 7”.

Specialty Stitches:
2trc cluster: *yo twice, insert hook into st indicated, yo, pull up loop, (yo, pull through 2 loops) twice, * leave the last loop on the hook. Repeat * to * once in the same space. Yo, pull through three loops left on the hook.
3trc cluster: *yo twice, insert hook into st indicated, yo, pull up loop, (yo, pull through 2 loops) twice, * leave the last loop on the hook. Repeat * to * twice in the same space. Yo, pull loop through four remaining loops on hook.
Sm sp = “same space”
Turning chain= the chain you made before you turned your work.

Scarf:
Base Row: ch31, hdc in 4th ch from hook and each across (29)

Row 1: ch5, trc in sm sp, ch3, 3trc cluster in sm sp, ch2, sk 6, sc in next, ch2, sk 6, (3trc cluster, ch3, 3trc cluster, ch3, 3trc cluster) in next st, ch2, sk6, sc , ch2, sk 6, 3trc cluster in turning ch, ch3, 2trc in sm sp.

Row 2: ch2 (cts as hdc), hdc in sm sp, 3hdc across ch3, * hdc in next cluster, 1 hdc in next ch2 sp, hdc in sc, 1hdc in ch2 sp *, hdc in cluster, 3hdc in ch3 sp, 3hdc in cluster, 3hdc in ch3, Repeat * to * once, hdc in cluster, 3hdc in ch3, 2hdc in last trc, sk ch5.

Row 3: ch1, sc in sm sp, ch2, sk 6 hdc, (3trc cluster, ch3, 3trc cluster, ch3, 3trc cluster) in next hdc, ch2, sk 6, sc in next, ch2, sk 6, Repeat ( ) once, ch2, sk 6, sc in turning ch.

Row 4: ch2, hdc in ch2 sp & next cluster, *3hdc in ch3 sp, 3hdc in next cluster, 3hdc in ch3 sp, hdc in next cluster, hdc in ch2, hdc in sc, *hdc in ch2, Repeat * to * once.

Continue working Rows 1-4 for as long as you would like the scarf to be. The typical scarf length is anywhere between 50-60” long depending on how much you want to be able to wrap the scarf around you.

Picture below is a step-by-step picture tutorial for working rows 1-4 if you need help. 


Baby Afghan:
Base Row: ch171, hdc in 4th ch from hook and each across (169)

Row 1: ch5, 2trc in sm sp, ch3, 3trc cluster in sm sp, ch2, sk6, sc in next, *ch2, sk 6, (3trc cluster, ch3, 3trc cluster, ch3, 3trc cluster) in next st, ch2, sk6, sc*. Repeat * to * ten times more (11 full clusters), ch 2, sk 6, 3trc cluster in turning ch, ch3, 2trc in sm sp.

Row 2: ch2 (cts as hdc) hdc in sm sp, 3hdc across ch3 (picture 1), *hdc in next cluster, 1 hdc in next ch2sp, hdc in sc, 1hdc in ch2sp (picture 2), hdc in cluster, 3hdc in ch3sp, 3hdc in cluster, 3hdc in ch3 (picture 3)*. Repeat * to * ten more times. Hdc in next cluster, hdc in ch2sp, hdc in sc, hdc in ch2sp, hdc in cluster, 3hdc in ch3sp, 2hdc in last trc, sk ch5.

Row 3: ch1, sc in sm sp, ch2, sk 6 hdc, *(3trc cluster, ch3, 3trc cluster, ch3, 3trc cluster) in next hdc, ch2, sk 6, sc in next, ch2, sk 6*. Repeat * to * ten more times. Sc in ch2 from row below (otherwise known as turning chain).

Row 4: ch2, *hdc in ch2sp, hdc in cluster, 3hdc in ch3sp, 3hdc in next cluster, 3hdc in ch3sp, hdc in next cluster, hdc in ch2sp, hdc in sc*. Repeat from * to * 11 more times

Repeat Rows 1-4 until you achieve the length you want for your afghan.




One of the many beautiful things about this particular pattern is that you don't have to put a border on it when you're done, unless you want to. I chose not to, because the sides sort of finish themselves off. Plus, there is so much movement going on inside the bulk of the blanket, I didn't want anything to take away from it's beauty, or make it an eyesore.  I hope you enjoy this pattern!

© Bizzy Crochet and Design 2014


61 comments:

  1. Thank you for deciphering the chart :-) I'm really bad at reading those. It's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be totally against general current and thank you for posting the link to the chart, lol.
    Love your color work, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol You're welcome. I didn't feel like I could rightly claim this as my own. :-) thanks for the compliment. :-)

      Delete
  3. Quick question, I rarely use stitch markers for crochet, but it looks like this pattern needs them. Where did you place your stitch markers for this pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, I didn't use any stitch markers. Once you get the first row done after your base row, you spend all of your time counting because you are constantly skipping 6 stitches. And once you have the pattern established-it never varies.

      Delete
  4. Oops! I must have read the pattern wrong. I read ch5, trc in sm space" and assumed sm = stitch marker. My bad. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:22 PM

    I'm having trouble with the beginning. What sm space do you put the first trc in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LaQuita- sm means 'same'. So same space.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:26 PM

      Ahhh well that makes sense!! Guess i spent too much time working in the sun! Thanks so much! I've been looking for the perfect baby blanket and this is it!!

      Delete
    3. Anonymous6:30 PM

      Ahhh, now that makes sense! I must have worked out in the sun too long! I've been looking for months for the perfect baby blanket. Couldn't find one until I saw this one. Thanks so much!!

      Delete
  6. Hey there!
    The pattern is absolutely beautiful, I can't wait to start it. I want to make a larger blanket though, not a baby blanket. How many multiples should I do?
    For example, the last blanket I made told me to add multiples of 18 to the listed chain amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! If my math is right, each wave is 14 stitches!

      Delete
  7. A lady at our local senior center asked me to make an afghan for a friend; we sat down to Ravelry and started browsing baby afghans but we didn't get past the second page. She saw your "Irish Wave" blanket and she told me to stop -- go no further -- that was the perfect one for her friend. I so totally agree -- it's lovely. I'm looking forwrd to working it up. [I swatched up a few rows to see what it would look like, and while i was orignally confused by the "sm", the minute the yarn hit the needles it was obvious what it meant -- sometimes our fingers know what our brains don't quite get at first. Thanks for the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for using my pattern- I'm honored! :-) I would love to see pictures when you're done.

      Biz

      Delete
  8. Is it possible to email me this pattern...I downloaded it but i can't open it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you need to contact me through my email address posted on the sidebar of my blog. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for posting this pattern. I am always looking for unique patterns and this one jumped right out at me. I have a stash of yarn that is taking over my house and multiple projects in the works, but I absolutely have to work this one. I can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm having problems figuring out the end of row 1 and getting the second row started. After racking my brain I finally figured sm sp, but I just can't get past that. Can you do a you tube video?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please email me at bizzycrochet@hotmail.com. I have a picture tutorial I can send you. I do not make videos at this time.

      Delete
    2. Thanks please send to macarman@comcast.net.

      Delete
    3. You need to email me and I will reply.

      Delete
  11. Okay. What's your email?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never mind. I found your email. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sent email to info@bizzycrochet.com and it wouldn't/couldn't go through. Do you have another address?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bizzycrochet@hotmail.com

      Delete
    2. This pattern reminded me of a blanket on Yolanda soto Lopez's ...all craft channel..
      Thank you for your pattern n chart details

      Delete
  14. I would like a picture tutorial please I emailed you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi- I'm stuck between the 2nd and 3rd rows. When working my 3rd row, it doesn't look like the trebles are coming out in the correct spots. I shouldn't be doing a chain 5 at the end of row 2, correct? Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw the two tutorials you've posted, but I can't find the pattern. It looks like the first row is hdc across then turn and start the pattern. Am I close?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes maam. You can get the free pattern on my website, just click on the picture.

      Delete
  17. Did I miss it? How do I sign up to receive your updates/newsletter?
    Just found you through link from Dedri Uys over at Lookatwhatimade.net (one of my favorite blogger/designers!)

    I like what I see and would love to get updates/news from you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi biz

    LOVE the Irish Weave!...I am somewhat kinda intermediate crocheted...lol... The Irish wweave looks to me like I can do a wonderful blackwatch look .... Thinking like navy blue dark green and black my question..... somewhere in there there needs to be a teeny thread of yellow where would you suggest I do that? I think it would make a marvelous looking Irish Afghan ?....now if I can just find the pattern...I've clicked on just about everything and can't seem to get to it....
    Thanks so much for posting something exciting!....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzy! You can follow the link in the post to my website. Click on the picture of the Irish Wave, it's an instant .pdf download. Thanks! Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  19. I would like to crochet this Irish Wave baby blanket but can't find the printed instructions. I'm not good enough to follow the pictures. HELP PLEASE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a link in the post to my website to download the free pattern. 😄

      Delete
    2. There is a link in the post to my website to download the free pattern. 😄

      Delete

  20. Have you ever shortened this pattern to make a scarf? It is so pretty, I have no babies to make it for but am into scarves for christmas gifts and love this pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scarf instructions are included with the pattern. 😄

      Delete
  21. Saw your pattern and it look like a lot of fun to make, but I could not find how many stitches you start with. There is NO CHAIN ????? AMOUNT, can you let me know how many in the chain to start. I saw it is made up of 18 sts, but not how many to start.

    thanks,
    martha obrien

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the information is available in the pattern download.

      Delete
  22. I printed the information from the web site and it gives the rows and how to make them, but it does not say how many sts to start. Please tell me how many sts I need to start the chain the make the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do not understand download from where, there is no place for me to start a download.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a link in the blog post that will take you my website. Click on the picture of the blanket on my website and it will automatically download. The beginning chain information is on page 4. Chain 171.

      Delete
    2. There is a link in the blog post that will take you my website. Click on the picture of the blanket on my website and it will automatically download. The beginning chain information is on page 4. Chain 171.

      Delete
  24. I double checked the pattern, the first picture says to get pattern, I clicked on that and it took me to the pictures and a few directions, but there is nothing about down loading the pattern. Where do I go to down load this pattern?
    martha obrien

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you I found the download and I have the pattern.

    Thank you for your help, cannot wait to start making this one. I make blankets all the time and I am always looking for something different and I found it with this one.

    Thanks again,

    Martha Obrien

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news! You're welcome. I hope you enjoy the pattern. :-)

      Delete
  26. I tried going to your pattern but it said it was unable to find what I was looking for. Could you email it to me? Leah.pierunek@phrd.ab.ca
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am a beginner when it comes to patterns, so I don't know if it is me or if it is something else, but the end of row 2 says to skip ch5 ? Then row 3 starts with a chain 1. I am completely confused by this. Help Please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are picture tutorials available on my website on the Free Afghan Patterns page.

      Delete
    2. There are picture tutorials available on my website on the Free Afghan Patterns page.

      Delete
  28. I tried clicking on the pic about 5 times with no luck. Your web site goes black when I try to get the pattern. Very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My website has been having a few technical difficulties. Feel free to stop by Craftsy or Ravelry to get the free pattern if the website isn't downloading for you.

      Delete
  29. Beautiful. Is there a border that can be added to finish it off?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the pattern but I would like to make a larger Full size blanket. I see it's 31 stitches for scarfs and 171 for baby blanket, so is this multiple of 29 add 2 or what.
    Email me piccione@lycos.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. The .pdf pattern has pattern repeat information on the first page for increasing the size.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Could a beginner make it. I've only ever made a granny square (I'm a two needle woman really).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gaynor, I'm pretty fond of working with two needles too! 😀 I believe a beginner can make this. I have some picture tutorials I can email you if you need extra help.

      Delete
  33. I just made the scarf version for my wife for Mother's Day thanks to your Ravelry pattern!
    I just learned to crochet about 3 weeks ago. The pattern was easy to follow and if you have the basic crochet stitches you can do this!

    You can see my project on Ravelry, Chancey81! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your baby blanket is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with us on Party in Your PJ's. custom minky blanket

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have a ton of yarn that I inherited from my grandmother and it's all just one ball of a colour. Perfect project to use her yarn thanks for this its really pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Crafting Memories: Section 5 of the Memories Blanket CAL

     Crafting Memories: Section 5 of the Memories Blanket CAL Oh my gosh!! It's the last week of the Memories CAL already!! I can't ...